New York – one of the largest cities in the world with a population of more than 8 million people. New York is divided into five districts: Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Queens.
Places where there is a modern New York City were discovered by the Englishman Henry Hudson in 1609 during his expedition in search of a new sea route to China. Since Hudson made his journey, working for the Dutch East India Company, the Dutch government soon included the land into its country. A few years later (in 1624), a few Dutch families settled in the area and began to trade with the locals and the territory itself became known as New Holland. New York is situated on 50 islands, the most famous of which is, of course, Manhattan. On this small island of less than 60 square kilometers one can find plenty of entertainment for the majority of residents and visitors. In 1625, on the island of Manhattan was founded the city of New Amsterdam. Trade, which was the main purpose of the located Dutch on the island, was not very good. But soon the Dutch bought the island from the local Indians.
Later, the British renamed the town in New York in honor of the Duke of York.Empire State Building built in 1931 is one of the most famous skyscrapers. For many years it was the tallest building in the world. January 22, 1930 its construction began. Empire State Building’s Architect William Lamb had planned to build a skyscraper that will take more than a year. Originally it was planned that flying up to the building airships could discharge their passengers directly on the roof of a skyscraper, but later this idea was abandoned because strong winds made the operation dangerous.
On the 86th and 106th floors of the building there are located observation platforms from which more than 2 million visitors annually enjoy the views of New York “with a bird’s eye view.”
- Henry Hudson’s name is immortalized in the name of the river on which the New York is situated –Hudson River.
- Manhattan Island was bought from a local tribe for goods in an amount equal to about $ 24.
- All in all in New York there are more than 2,000 bridges
- Bridge Street is on the place of one of the bridges across the canal, which was on the territory of modern New York in the 17th century, when the town belonged to the Dutch. Wall Street is located on the former site of the wall that Dutch settlers built for defense against Indian tribes.
- All ponds in Central Park are artificial.